What are cookies?
How do I turn cookies off?
You can go further. In most cases, you can use my website in full even if you change your browser settings to block all cookies. However, if you use the contact form, please check that it confirms your message has been sent by displaying “Message sent”.
Most computer and some mobile web browsers automatically accept cookies. However, all modern browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the ‘settings’, ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu of your browser. Changing your settings may help you in ways like this:
- Stop websites saving and using any cookies on your device. This may prevent you using the site or using the site in full.
- Clear cookies and site data when you close the browser.
- Block third-party cookies. This stops sites collecting your browsing activity across different sites to personalise ads delivered to you. Some sites may not work properly.
Types of cookies on my website
My website is hosted on the WordPress.com platform. Cookies are built into the site. Some cookies used last only during your web session and expire when you close your browser. Other cookies last longer and remain on your computer or device.
They can be broadly categorised as follows.
- Cookies essential for the running of the site
- Cookies which ensure you have a better experience when using the site
- Third Party cookies which may track your browsing history to deliver you personalised ads
- Analytics cookies
I use analytic tools (WordPress and Google Analytics) to collect information about how people use my website. This helps me to improve the site for future use and make sure that it is meeting the needs of the people using it. Analytics cookies store information about what pages people visit, how long they are on the site, how they got there and what they click on. Analytics cookies do not collect or store users’ personal information (for example, names or addresses), so this information cannot be used to identify individuals.
This Cookies Policy is version 6.1.2. It was last updated on 12 May 2020.